Here are a few questions about R12 I have been asked a number of times, and if a few people asked me, I am guessing that even more people are searching from Google, (or maybe even Yahoo or Bing) looking for answers.
1) What is a Ledger? What happened to my Sets of Books?
Your 11i Set of Books is now an R12 ledger, any 11i sets of books you had will be a ledger after you run the R12 upgrade.
2) Why did you change the name?
I am not fully aware of the history of the decision, but a Ledger is a much better description and matches the business terminology more closely. Also with the introduction of Ledger Sets in R12, we’d have had a clumsy ‘Set of Books Sets’ term to deal with.
3) Does the new table gl_ledgers replace gl_sets_of_books table.
4) So what about my custom reports that query gl_sets_of_books table or gl_sets_of_books_v view
No need to change those. For backward compatibility we created a view gl_sets_of_books which references the gl_ledgers table. gl_sets_of_books_v is also modified to reference gl_ledgers table.
5) What happens to the sob_id, are these primary keys preserved?
Yes, the sob_id from 11i will become the ledger_id you see in R12
6) I see Ledger_id in the gl_interface table, do I have to update all my feeder programs that write to that to populate ledger_id instead of sob_id?
No. GL_INTERFACE is backward compatible, the sob_id column is still there and ledger_id is optional, if Journal Import does not find any value in ledger_id it will use the sob_id
I have not got into any of the powerful new functionality that is introduced as part of the Ledger Architecture, or discussed what you can do with Ledger Sets, those items are for another day. If you want to read about those now you should look at the document below.